Saturday, November 21, 2009

September 22, 1956 from Shirley and Rod

204 S. Duncan
Stillwater, Okla

Sept. 21, 1956

Dear Carol and Randy,

I sure was happy to get your letter and hear about that youngin! Sure would like to see you both! I'll bet he has grown a mile already. I probably won't know him the next time I see him.

I'm sure glad to hear C.B is improving all along. Buck had been wanting to go see him but he has been hauling for Dad every spare minute he has. He had to quit the book store in order to up his studies and if it wasn't for this hauling we would be sitting out on the curb eating worms. Rod probably would like that! He will eat any thing but food! He's gaining tho so he is surely getting plenty to eat. He weighs 21 pounds now. mom bought him a stroller yesterday!!! Boy I really needed one. My ole back was about to break from carrying him all over the place. He really loves it too-he just squeels & hollors all the time we are out! He is over repairing the cooler right now. He sure is a little helper! I can't keep him in the living room any more. He roams all over the house (except the bathroom) He gets in the cabinets & pulls every thing out & plays in the refrigerator drawer & in the stove drawers & pulls on my dress tail. Just wait- Randy is the sweetest little thing you have ever seen now- and he will get sweeter every day. There's nothing more wonderful than a little baby boy! I know you will agree!

Darla was here yesterday with Raylee. He is still a lot bigger than Rod. She says he doesn't eat any thing either but he drinks a gallon of milk a day. Rod just drinks about 36 oz. a day. Darla seems just as happy as can be. She showed me the watch that Keith gave her for her birthday and he is always doing something real sweet for her or the baby. I'm sure happy for them!

Dad & Buck are supposed to be gone for two days so Mom is supposed to come over & stay all night with us tonight.

Did you know you can get golf clubs, bag and cart for green stamps? Well you can & you can also get a movie camera with them- thats what I want so I am going to start buying groceries where they give stamps so I can get a camera. I sure would like to have movies of Rod and all the sweet little things he does.

I sure hope you change your mind about weaning Randy so early- I wouldn't wean one under 6 months for anything. I'm really sorry I weaned Rod at 6 1/2 months. If I ever have another I'll nurse it till its 9 months or more at least. Course thats up to you but I really think you will be sorry if you wean him early.

I'd still love to have you here but if you want to be in Guthrie well you can try it & if it doesn't work out my offer still stands-always. Anytime you need a baby sitter or any help of any kind you know where I live-don't forget.

Jane wants a birth announcement and she said she has something for him. Her address is 1227 N.W. 29th. In case you have forgotten. Your announcements are real cute. I'm sure glad you sent me one.

I've got to get on the ball. Let me hear from you often and tell me all about that little one! I want a picture of him-soon as you can get some-O.K?

Now take care of yourself & that little doll and let me hear from you soon. I hope C.B. gets well without having to go to Memphis. I'd hate to see you go back out that direction. I know you want to do what ever is best for him. Tell him Buck is thinking about him all the time & we are still praying for the three of you. Tell Mrs. Preston "Hello" too. I know she will hate to see you & the little one move.

Take care now and write soon.

Love Always,

Shirley and Rod


*My Notes: First mention of moving to Memphis. (He ended up in Kennedy Veterans Hospital and letters start getting addressed to him there later)

I did notice she said:

"I hope C.B. gets well without having to go to Memphis. I'd hate to see you go back out that direction." "back out that direction"....

Hmmm

I also noticed her mention of Darla. Some letters from Darla are coming up but I wonder if this Darla is the same Darla as mentioned in the first letter when Oleta Hood mentions that Darla "got married on the 20th to Keith Jefferies". I am assuming the 20th of August since the letter was written on the 30th of August. And Darla has a child already...Interesting. Pregnant before married or second marriage? Doesn't really pertain to C.B Preston and the letters but I found it curious.


No comments:

Post a Comment